Saturday, February 11, 2012

New Semester

The 2nd semester started at Ballou and we are off to a slow but promising start. Each time I meet a new class, I spend the first few days getting to know who my students are as people and as artists. I do this through surveys, conversation, and giving them an assignment to decorate their portfolio. I tell them there are two requirements for the portfolio cover: #1 it should have their 'government' name somewhere on it and #2 it should look good! (leaving 'good' to be whatever they interpret that to mean). Watching them design the portfolio cover tells a lot about who the person is as an artist. I see a variety of responses, the student who is afraid to start, the student who balls up 3 or 4 before settling on a design, the student who loves lettering, the student who does the very typical flower, heart, and words, the students who spends the entire hour designing one small corner, the student who scribbles 'just anything,' and of course the rare student who creates something completely unique and amazing. Last semester I had some of the absolute best kids I have ever met personality-wise, but very few came with any art skill or knowledge at all. This time, I was completely blown away. They created some great original designs and nearly every student had a knack for lettering. I'm excited to see where they take their skills this semester.

Still working out the camera issues, will post pics when I have a camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment