Thursday, March 15, 2012

Aaaand we're back!


I am happy to report that I have a new camera and once again will be updating my blog! We've done so much in the past few months it is hard to summarize it all. In the next few posts I will try to address somethings we have done.
30 American @ the Corcoran:
A group of about 30 Ballou students went on a field trip with me, Mr Goudas (the other art teacher), and Ms Givens (the photo teacher). 30 Americans was an amazing exhibit featuring the artworks of approximately 30 African Americans who have made art in the past 30 or so years. Some of the art was politically charged and most of the art explored the African American experience. It included some of my favorite artists- 2 beautiful Kehinde Wiley's, an expansive Kara Walker, and a Shinique Smith installation. I was impressed that while the docent spoke on a college level, my students rose to the occasion and engaged with her answering and asking dynamic questions. Some times I focus on meeting them where they are (academically) and I don't challenge them to make the leap up to a college level. My favorite part of the trip was when I had a conversation with one student I'll call Tom that went something like this:
Tom: "Ms S, I like the artwork here but I don't feel any different about being black after seeing this exhibit. We always learn about slavery and racism and I get it but it doesn't make me feel different."
Ms S: "As an artist yourself Tom, do you think that you will always be seen as a 'black' artist (meaning that he will be pigeon-holed into exhibiting only with other black artists or shows that address black issues) or do you think we are past that and you can just be an artist?"
Tom: "Ms S, we are past that! Race doesn't matter, I'm just an artist."
I hope Tom is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment