Friday, March 16, 2012

Safe Space

I'm proud to say I joined a support team at school that supports LGBT students! According to our team leader, Ballou is one of the last schools to implement the safe space initiative. In our meeting, the team leader gave us a small summary of what it means to be a safe space teacher and why it is important. I am not going to try and remember the exact statistics the team leader gave us, he impressed upon us that LGBT students are at a higher risk for harassment and bullying and that the rate of LGBT teen suicide is greater. While I'm always pushing for a positive learning community in my room, I'm glad the entire school is now supporting that effort. This couldn't come at a better time then now when this type of bullying is so prevalent in our local and national news.

No comments:

Post a Comment