Monday, August 6, 2012

Expeditionary Learning

I added a new educational term to my lexicon this year- expeditionary learning

As the name suggests, expeditionary learning schools engage students to be active participants in learning expeditions.  EL schools combine many strategies I am familiar with as a museum educator- inquiry, experiential learning, object based research, authentic learning opportunities- and combines them with character development.  At an EL school, character building and academic scholarship are seen as equal components in student achievement.  Much of what I've learned about EL reflects my personal educational philosophy and it is affirming to see EL perform comparatively well.

More updates to come during training this week, but in the meantime, check out the EL website and see if you can't find a video of President Obama visiting Capital City PCS.

No comments:

Post a Comment