Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kudos to 8th grade

My 8th graders had a great debate on the topic 'what is art?' 

I posed a set of 4 or 5 questions based on 'controversial' artworks to get them thinking about what they believe makes something a work of art.  We started by looking at Andy Warhol's brillo box and tried to figure out why someone might consider it a work of art.  We also considered if we agree that is a work of art or if we think it might not be. 

After thinking through some tough questions, table groups come up with their own definitions of 'art' and give examples and non-examples.  The groups then share out and must defend their definitions and explain their choices for their examples and non-examples.

I was amazed how well this worked with 8th graders- I heard some amazing points being passionately debated!

If you are interested in a more complete lesson (including the powerpoint I use), leave me a comment and I'll email it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment