Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Art Games


Last quarter I introduced a few art games into class.  I was inspired by our school's dedication  to developing the "whole child" as well as our fabulous drama teacher that constantly plays games with her kids.  As someone who grew up in a pretty average middle class family (who loves playing board games!) I didn't realize how much kids learn from play until we had Game Day at the Incarcerated Youth Program.  The kids at IYP were so excited about playing but also had a hard time with simple things like sharing, accepting losing, and taking turns.  It was a wild and memorable day as students passionately fought for their positions!  I recently introduced 3 new games to my 5th and 6th graders- scrutineyes (a where's waldo type game), Bubble Talk (similar to Apples to Apples only with photos and captions) and Telestrations (which is like the game telephone only with illustrations, my personal favorite of the bunch).  They were a big hit, I plan on incorporate more games into class as the year goes on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment