Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Too macabre?

If you have to ask (too macabre?), then maybe it is.  I wanted to share that the Phillips Collection currently has 3 of it's dead bird paintings on display (making a total of at least 4 in the collection).  If you recall several months ago I posted about this small group of paintings owned by the Phillips but at that time only one was on display.  Here are pictures of Henry Varnum Poor's Dead Crow and Dead Bird by Chaim Soutine.  I'm a big fan of Soutine and I did not know this work existed before my most recent visit to the Collection.  These works are outside a special Intersections exhibit called Vanitas! by the artist Jeanne Silverthorne.  I am a HUGE fan of the Vanitas! exhibit and I am in the process of writing a post about it.  I think it is brilliant and definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.  It is on display until June 2.  In the meantime, enjoy the two paintings below.



No comments:

Post a Comment