Sunday, November 20, 2011

Inspiration


Speaking of other hats, another group I am a part of is the Free Minds Book Club and Writing Workshop. Free Minds is an incredible organization that I learned about through my work at the Incarcerated Youth Program. Free Minds builds literacy with incarcerated youth in the DC Jail by involving the youth in reading for pleasure, meeting reknowned writers, and producing creative writing. Free Minds is one of the most amazing groups out there working with our youth. Here is an image of one of the Free Minds members reciting some spoken word for a fundraiser @ Local 16.
Recently, Free Minds used my artwork as a point of inspiration for their poets. They posted my the poem on their writing blog here. One in particular stuck me, so I thought I would share it below:
Title: I had the Choice
Bound, tied down, held against my will.
Trapped by my own words,
Bound by my own actions,
Tied for my own choice,
But I had the choice so was it against my will?
Was I forced here?
No.
I freely tie my own hands,
I freely gave another person the privilege to judge me,
So am I really trapped or freed when my choices changed.

1 comment: