Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First day

I keep hearing the question "what do you do on the first day of school?"  On the first day, like most teachers, I divide my time between introducing procedures and getting to know my students.  This year, I opted to do a 4 part mini portrait as part of the get to know you segment.  The directions are as follows:

Fold a piece of paper into 4 equal squares and label each section with a number 1,2,3, and 4.
In section 1, write your name in a creative way
In section 2, draw a picture to represent your favorite subject
In section 3, draw a picture to represent what you like to do outside of school hours
In section 4, draw a picture that represents a person who is important to you and label it ( this picture does not have to be a portrait of the person, can be a symbol or object that represents the person).

I followed this up with a few reflection questions: Was there any square that was easy to draw or that you enjoyed drawing?  Was there any square that was difficult for you to draw or you did not enjoy drawing? Why do you think I choose this artwork for the first day of school.

It was easy and got great results! This artwork let know my students personally and also informed me of their strengths and weaknesses as artists.  I also appreciate that it allows me to authentically share a little about myself with my students.

Here is my example followed by some 5th grade student samples (my apologies if the pencil is a little too light):



 
What do you think? What do you or would you do on the first day of school? How would you complete your artwork if this was your assignment?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment